author Call Us: 972-996-4702

Compare Listings

Appealing your Property’s Tax Value

Appealing your Property’s Tax Value

Having a high tax value is the stuff of nightmares for many homeowners. The higher it gets, the more taxes one has to pay.

Normally, if you made any value-adding improvements to your home, getting a higher property value is understandable. On the other hand, it becomes a problem if you haven’t made any improvements or you’ve downsized your home and yet it doesn’t reflect on your Notice of Appraised Value. In that case, you will need to make an appeal in your respective appraisal district.

In Collin County, you can protest if you are the owner of your property as of January 1 or if you acquired and leased the property after January 1.

As a Texas property owner, you can appeal any appraisal action with regards to your home’s market value by filing a protest before the Appraisal Review Board (ARB).

Step 1:

Review your appraisal records including your Notice of Appraised Value. Make sure every piece of information is correct, especially the proposed value of your property.

Step 2:

Download the right forms. Head on over to the website of the Collin Central Appraisal District (CAD) and download a Notice of Protest Form. You may also file your protest using the e-file system. Click here and follow the instructions on how to send your protest.

Step 3:

File the online or written protest before May 15 or 15 days after a notice of appraised value from the Collin County Appraisal District is mailed to you. You may deliver the written protest along with supporting documentation to the CAD. Sending via fax or email is not accepted.

Step 4: 

You may take part in informal hearings at the CAD to back up your protest before the formal hearings with the ARB begin. You can come in person at 250 Eldorado Pkwy, McKinney, TX 75070, Mon-Fri 8 am – 5 pm. You can also call by phone via 469-742-9200 or 865-467-1110. Informal hearings are scheduled beginning April 15 to May 15, so make sure you have all evidence and documents to prove that your property has been overvalued.

Step 5:

Attend ARB hearings middle of the May until later in summer. The ARB will rule on your protest and you will be notified by mail. In case you’re dissatisfied by the ARB’s ruling, you can either appeal before the state district court or get binding arbitration. You will find more information here.

On our end, we can help you review your property’s appraised value by giving you the most recent sales comparables in your community. Give us a call today!



Related posts

Pet Doors and Security: What Every Homeowner Should Know

Dog lovers know how tedious it can be to tend to their pets' needs. But despite all the struggle,...

Continue reading
by arbrook
  • Blog

Is the Real Estate Market About to Crash? What You Should Know

The real estate sector will experience another steep dip, but this shouldn't inhibit homebuyers. If anything, these observations should help them better understand the market and secure themselves from an eventual slowdown.

Continue reading
by arbrook
  • Blog

The Best Flooring Options For Every Room

Changing your flooring is one crucial step toward realizing your goal of turning your property into an ideal home.

Continue reading
by arbrook

Join The Discussion